Weight loss has been one of my major challenges ever since I was young. There are two problems, getting the determination for losing the weight itself and maintaining the weight loss, which is where so many of us fail. This usually happens because as soon as I get to the point where I want to be, then I return to the unhealthy habits I had before. Habits which made me gain all that extra weight in the first place. After facing this issue for several years, I turned to Garcinia Cambogia after seeing it on Dr. Oz (using Garcinia Cambogia Extract). So far, it has been very effective for maintaining my weight loss efforts (lost a 7 pounds in 1st month). After seeing the results, I was curious to know how it works and below is what I discovered.
What Is Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia Cambogia is a small tree which grows in Southeast Asia (also known as Gambooge and Malabar Tamarind). Garcinia Cambogia extract is a pale brown powder, soluble in ethanol and water, which is stable at room temperature if stored in closed containers. The extract is made from the fruit rind (see the green outer layer in the pic) and contains 50% or more hydroxycitric acid. Most extracts are 50% but the one I use is 60% HCA (300mg HCA per capsule/600mg HCA per serving) which explains why it is so effective
4 Ways Garcinia Cambogia Extract Helps Weight Loss
The hydroxycitric acid (HCA) found in Garcinia Cambogia extract has a dual action when it comes to weight loss. It modifies the process of converting the sugar into fat, a process which takes place in the liver. By doing so, HCA stops the formation of new fat cells. The excess fat won’t be stored in the body, it will only pass through the digestive system and be eliminated in a matter of hours.
Several clinical studies support the following functions Garcinia Cambogia Extract:
- Garcinia Cambogia extract helps decrease belly fat acting specifically on fat cells, which is a huge problem for both men and women
- The other mechanism of action of HCA is appetite suppression, which encourages you to eat less and give up sweets and/or snacks
- HCA may decrease levels of stress and improve overall mood, which helps to reducing emotional eating
- GCE contains Flavonoids for overall health
Unlike other natural supplements, Garcinia Cambogia extract managed to get into the attention of the medical world, therefore there are several good studies which support its benefits.
This study reported that 1.2grams/day of HCA produced weight loss. Participants were given “400-mg caplets of Garcinia cambogia 30-60 min prior to meals.”
This study concluded that “G cambogia may be useful for the prevention and reduction of accumulation of visceral fat.”
This study revealed the role played by this extract in the regulation of endogenous lipid biosynthesis. This means Garcinia Cambogia may lower the LDL cholesterol, serum leptin and triglycerides. On the other hand, it increases the good cholesterol levels (HDL cholesterol) and the levels of serotonin. Serotonin is very important because it helps fighting depression and insomnia. A higher serotonin level also translates into reducing stress eating, which is one of the major causes for accumulating fat and for weight gain.
4 Tricks to Lose Weight With Garcinia
This is how I lost weight using Garcinia Cambogia Extract over the course of a month.
- Assess your body weight and adjust your dosage accordingly before each meal
- I took 2 capsules, 2 times a day; in the afternoon and in the evening
- Follow this for 6 days of the week, and allow yourself to have a “cheat day” ;P
- After 2 weeks, assess your body weight again and adjust the dose up or down for quicker or slower results
Side Effects of Garcinia Cambogia Extract
Medical studies showed no difference in terms of adverse reactions and side effects between the subjects treated with Garcinia Cambogia extract and those in the control group who received a placebo instead of the real medication.
4 Things to Look For In Your Garcinia Cambogia Supplement
There are many products on the market that contain Garcinia Cambogia extract, products manufactured by different companies from all over the world. When choosing the right supplement to take, you want to make sure you look for these things detailed below.
- The product should contain 60% HCA (hydroxycitric acid), avoid it if there is no percentage is given.
- The serving dosage should be 800 mg or more, which is the the recommended dose to be taken daily, 30-60 minutes before your three main meals of the day.
- The product should be free of artificial ingredients, fillers or binders. This is usually mentioned on the box or on the label. If the mention isn’t there, don’t buy it.
- The supplement should be made in a certified lab in the USA. Many of the cheaper supplements are bottled in foreign countries which comprises the quality and purity of the product.
- Avoid anything that claims to be approved by the FDA. If you find a product that claim it has been evaluated or approved by the FDA, don’t buy it.
- Avoid anything that claims to be endorsed by Dr. Oz as he does not recommend any particular brand
“I recommend Garcinia Cambogia Extract as it meets all of these requirements.”
Note: If you are located outside of the U.S. my recommendation would be to use this link for Garcinia Cambogia Extract as they ship to United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.